Did You Know?
The following facts are quoted directly from http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/buylocal/
- In the US, the average grocery store’s produce travels nearly 1,500 miles between the farm where it was grown and your refrigerator.
- About 40% of our fruit is processed overseas.
- Even though broccoli is likely grown within 20 miles of the average American’s house, the broccoli we buy at the supermarket travels an average 1,800 miles to get there.
- 9% of our red meat comes from foreign countries, including locations as far away as Australia and New Zealand.
- According to the USDA, the US has lost over five million farms since 1935.
- Only 3.5 cents of each dollar (spent on food) actually goes to the farmer.